Psst, FYI – this post may contain affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission (at absolutely no extra cost to you). Thanks for supporting the free content on this site (and for sponsoring more doggy treats for little Albus!)
I have been on a bit of a hiatus this past 2 months, but I’m back to quickly talk about something very important: My home. Your home.
If you haven’t already realised, our home is in jeopardy. Our home, which is also home to over 8.7 million other species. Yes! 8.7 million, can you even fathom that? And with this planet we call home consisting of only 30% land, the other 70% is the Ocean!
I’m sure we’ve all seen the images of the sea turtle with a plastic straw up his nostril, and turtles eating plastic. I think it is high time all this comes to an end.
I love the ocean. There is nowhere I feel free-er than when I’m out in the ocean (getting my diving license has been on the top of my bucket list since 2016 now but I digress). So it pains me to hear that our oceans are increasingly getting polluted, which has become a serious problem for the many animals who call the ocean their home!
I know sometimes it seems like it’s too big a problem that is beyond our control, but there are small little steps we can take to make a difference.
One way we can play our part is to reduce plastic consumption, especially one-use plastics such as straws and plastic bags! And, with the USA using 500 million straws every day (enough straws to circle around the Earth 2.5 times!), that’s a lot of trash and potential litter. It takes up to 200 years for a plastic straw to decompose, so the straws that we use for probably less than an hour will outlive us! And every year, 1 million seabirds and 100,000 marine animals die from ingesting plastic.
It doesn’t take much to bring your own reusable bags (available on Amazon and AliExpress) when you go shopping and say ‘no’ to plastic bags. And say ‘no’ to plastic straws and bring your own metal straw (available on Amazon and AliExpress)! They are all the rage now btw.
I’m loving the color of these straws! And they’re only $2 for a set of 2!
Make this your personal commitment to say “no” to plastic straws and bags. Whenever you order a drink, politely request “no straw, please.”
You’ve got more power than you think. Want to take your impact even further? Use your own paper, glass, bamboo, or stainless steel straw instead, and start a conversation.
I have just taken my first step and purchased reusable stainless steel straws, and you can too! They come in all sorts of colors to suit your personality. I got mine in mermaid blue and gold!
Let me know if you’re in on this movement and what other steps you’ve taken to help reduce plastic consumption! Together, we can save our planet!
Save the planet, spread the word!
I totally agree with you! Let’s Say No to Single-Use Plastics!
You’re right. It doesn’t take a lot and everybody can do a little. Metals straws are all what I got all the time on my trip to SE Asia, and I use tote bags anyway. The next thing that bothers me are these tiny shampoo bottles. I tried hair soap but it doesn’t work for me (ruined my hair)… still working on a solution for that. Any ideas welcome 🙂