Psst, FYI – this post may contain affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission (at absolutely no extra cost to you) and ads keep this blog free for you to enjoy. Thanks for supporting the free content on this site (and for sponsoring more doggy treats for little Albus!)
If you must know one thing about me, it’s that I am a HUGE F.R.I.E.N.D.S fan. I have F.R.I.E.N.D.S playing in the background as I’m writing this, and all my other blog posts too actually. The jokes are evergreen, and no matter how many times you watch it, it’s still funny and you will still LOL.
So as I was pondering on what to write for my next article, it hit me–these six whacky characters have such distinct personalities and I’m sure they would have different travel styles. And thus, this F.R.I.E.N.D.S-Themed Travel post was born!
If you’ve never heard of F.R.I.E.N.D.S or have never watched it, uhm, where have you been for the last 14 years? Okay, stop what you’re doing and get yourself on Netflix and prepare for your life to be changed forever.
Even if you’ve never watched the series, I’m sure you’ve seen snippets of these 6 characters somewhere on TV or on the internet. Otherwise, seriously, where have you been?!
So, let’s begin!
If you look up the definition of Type A in the dictionary, you’d probably find Monica Geller’s face. She’s ultra-organized–I mean, she has 11 categories of towels including every day, guest, fancy guest, etc.–and she’s a clean freak. Like not health department-clean, but Monica-clean! And I can’t think of a city that’s cleaner and more organized than Singapore. Also, she’s a chef and let’s not forget she ate the macaroni off a handmade jewelry box so… let’s just say she’s a foodie. And Singapore is the home of so much good food. Chilli crab, anyone?
I think she would also love to try some authentic Marinara sauce in Italy, hopefully, made by a guy that’s not from Lebanon…
Rachel is all about the fashion, and she would definitely love nothing more than to shop her socks off in the fashion capitals of the world: Paris, London and Milan. But how about Seoul, South Korea? It’s every woman’s shopping haven, and she’ll literally shop ’til she drops!
I’m sure she’d love to finally get to see Paris even though she was offered the job at Louis Vuitton, but got off the plane last minute, because of Ross. But let’s face it, they’re probably on another break. So how about some French men that won’t steal her wind? Hell yeah.
Ahh, Phoebe. P as in Phoebe, H as in Hoebe, O as in Oebe, E and Ebe, B as in Bebe, and E as in… ‘ ello there, mate!
Phoebe is one lovable, quirky character. She grew up on the streets and has this really tough exterior to her. She would love Japan for all its quirky inventions and attractions. Besides, there are plenty of cat cafes where she could finally find her ‘smelly cat’. Also, Japan is kinda known for it’s kinky sex culture, which is right up her alley! There are also Pachinko parlors all over the city where she can try her hand at slots, and hopefully not get stalked by an elderly lady again.
Oh, and if she’s ever stuck in NYC again, while everyone else gets to go to London, she might love being a guest in her own city with this non-FOMO guide of New York City!
So, Chandler Bing can’t dance, that’s a fact. He could probably do himself a favor and get some Samba dance lessons in Brazil.
Also, all those years of ‘statistical analysis and data reconfiguration’ must have resulted in a lot of tense muscles, so he could do well with a relaxing massage with a view at the Maldives.
Since Ross loves getting his tan on so much, he would love a tropical destination somewhere like Laos. Plus, extra points since Laos is so steeped in history. The best part is he won’t need to worry about counting Mississippi- lessly!
He might even enjoy a weekend ‘break’ somewhere with fajitas and a margarita in hand in Mexico!
Joey is all about the food and his women. And there’s probably no better place on the planet than Venezuela–where he’ll find some of the most beautiful women in the world. They’ve won Miss Universe 7 times–that’s the most out of any country in the world! Oh, and the food? There’s so much to eat there won’t be any problems sharing!
So tell me, who is your favorite F.R.I.E.N.D.S character and do you identify with any of them? Let me know in the comments below if you can think of any other desinations you think these characters should go! 😉
Liked this? Pin it!
MY TOP TRAVEL TIPS & RESOURCES
Here are my top travel tips and resources to help you save money and plan your trips effectively! If you're looking for more tips, head over to my travel tips resource page or my comprehensive guide on trip planning.
- Booking Flights: When it comes to finding great flight deals, I always start my search on Google Flights or Skyscanner. To save some cash, consider flying mid-week or on the weekends, opt for carry-on only with budget airlines, and be open to red-eye or early morning flights. Check out my in-depth guide on how I find the cheapest flights.
- Accommodations: I'm a stickler for finding the absolute best deals on my stays, so I will obsessively oscillate between a few booking sites: Booking.com (in general) and Agoda (for Asian destinations). When it comes to vacation rentals, there's Airbnb or VRBO.
- Travel Insurance: It's always a wise decision to purchase travel insurance for international trips. I can't stress this enough - it's highly recommended! For international travel insurance, I suggest considering World Nomads or SafetyWing. SafetyWing, in particular, stands out as one of the few policies that cover Covid-19. They also offer excellent monthly policies that are perfect for digital nomads and long-term travelers!
- Travel Credit Card: My go-to travel credit card for booking trips is the Wise travel card. I love that there are no foreign transaction fees, so I can pay like a local and never get any surprises at the end of my trip. You can also withdraw cash from the ATMs wherever you are. With Wise, you are always guaranteed the best exchange rate, and I have saved sooo much money just by using this card. Most of the time, I get charged the exchange rate I see on Google, plus or minus a few cents.
- Tours: Most times, I prefer traveling independently but sometimes, getting a guide and a local's perspective makes the experience all the more enriching. When it comes to tour bookings, I trust Viator and GetYourGuide to provide me with excellent options. In Asia, I choose Klook as they are the biggest provider in the region. Plus, you can often get entrance tickets and discounted prices!
- Transportation: To navigate through public transit options and plan my journeys from one place to another, I rely on Rome2Rio. When it comes to rental cars, I compare rental companies and find the best deals through DiscoverCars.
- Connection: It's essential to me to have seamless connectivity wherever I go. I need it to navigate to new places, Google what's around me, and keep in touch with my loved ones. But fumbling around with multiple SIMs has always been a nightmare, which is why I choose Airalo when I travel. No more switching SIMs, just purchase a plan on your phone, on the go, anywhere, and stay connected.
- Luggage Storage: Whenever I need to check out early or take advantage of a long layover, I securely store my luggage with LuggageHero. It's a reliable service that allows me to roam around freely. As a bonus, you can use this link to enjoy your first hour of FREE luggage storage on me!
- What to Pack: I always have packing anxiety once I've left home—you know the phantom feeling that you've forgotten something even though you've checked 372836 times. So I made my own packing list and use it religiously before every trip, and by religious I mean I tick off that list at least 7 times before I zip up my bag. Check out my in-depth packing list here.