Psst, FYI – this post may contain affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission (at absolutely no extra cost to you) and ads keep this blog free for you to enjoy. Thanks for supporting the free content on this site (and for sponsoring more doggy treats for little Albus!)
Whether you’re stuck at your desk daydreaming about that next getaway, or if you’re already on the road, there are travel quotes for every situation to soothe that wanderbug we all get hit with once in a while (or, always for some of us!). Traveling is whatever you make it to be, and can be so much more than just booking a plane ticket and packing your bags. It can be a journey of self-discovery and self-realisation, something that sometimes can touch us in the deepest depths of our soul. Whatever travel means to you, here are some of my favorite travel quotes that have inspired me to stay curious, and always wander.
I hope you get inspired to pack up and head out in the great big unknown, to discover what this beautiful planet has in store, and perhaps, even find yourself in the process.
50 Best Travel Quotes to Spark your Wanderlust
- “To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries” – Aldous Huxley
- “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”― Mark Twain
- “To Travel is to Live” – Hans Christian Andersen
“The life you have led doesn’t need to be the only life you have.” – Anna Quindlen
“And then there is the most dangerous risk of all — the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.” – Randy Komisar
“Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.” – Anthony Bourdain
“Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends” – Maya Angelou
“Jobs fill your pocket, but adventures fill your soul.” – Jamie Lyn Beatty
- “Go, fly, roam, travel, voyage, explore, journey, discover, adventure.”
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Andre Gide
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta
“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – Augustine of Hippo
“Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer”
“We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.” – Anonymous
- “Travel far enough, you meet yourself” -David Mitchell
“People don’t take trips, trips take people.” – John Steinbeck
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.” – Susan Sontag
- “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.” – James Michener
“A ship in a harbor is safe, but it not what ships are built for.” -John A. Shedd
“Live life with no excuses, travel with no regret” – Oscar Wilde
“Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.” – Dalai Lama
“Live your life by a compass not a clock.” – Stephen Covey
- “Not all those who wander are lost.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
“Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference” – Robert Frost
“We wander for distraction but we travel for fulfillment” – Hilaire Belloc
“If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine: It’s Lethal.” – Paul Coelho
“If you’re twenty-two, physically fit, hungry to learn and be better, I urge you to travel – as far and as widely as possible. Sleep on floors if you have to. Find out how other people live and eat and cook. Learn from them – wherever you go.” – Anthony Bourdain
- “Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures.” – Lovelle Drachman
“Dare to live the life you’ve always wanted.”
“We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” – Jawaharial Nehru
- “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes” – Marcel Proust.
“A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step” – Lao Tzu
“The pleasure we derive from journeys is perhaps dependent more on the mindset with which we travel than on the destination we travel to” – Alain de Botto
“Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” -Gustav Flaubert
- “Travel doesn’t become adventure until you leave yourself behind” – Marty Rubin
“There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign” – Robert Louis Stevenson
“We travel for romance, we travel for architecture, and we travel to be lost.” – Ray Bradbury
38. “We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls.” – Anais Nin
- “I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
“I travel because it makes me realize how much I haven’t seen, how much I’m not going to see, and how much I still need to see.” – Carew Papritz
“A person susceptible to “wanderlust” is not so much addicted to movement as committed to transformation.” – Pico Iyer
“Traveling is a brutality. It forces you to trust strangers and to lose sight of all that familiar comfort of home and friends. You are constantly off balance. Nothing is yours except the essential things: air, sleep, dreams, sea, the sky – all things tending towards the eternal or what we imagine of it.” – Cesare Pavese
“Wanderlust: n. a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world”
- “Remember that happiness is a way of travel – not a destination.” -Roy M. Goodman
“It is not down in any map; true places never are.” – Herman Melville
“Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.” – Jack Kerouac
- “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” – Helen Keller
“What you’ve done becomes the judge of what you’re going to do — especially in other people’s minds. When you’re traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don’t have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.” – William Least Heat Moon
“The gladdest moment in human life, me thinks, is a departure into unknown lands.” – Sir Richard Burton
“Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire.” – Jennifer Lee
Want to have these travel quotes on your mobile phone? Enter your email below to get them all sent to your email so you can access them from any device!
Ready to book your flight? Compare prices on my favorite flight search engine, Kayak!
Do you have your own favorite travel quotes I’ve missed? Or is there one that really strikes a chord with you? Let me know in the comments below!
Caught the wanderbug? You’ll love these posts to get you started on your next journey!
MY TOP TRAVEL TIPS & RESOURCES
Here are my top travel tips and resources to help you save money and plan your trips effectively! If you're looking for more tips, head over to my travel tips resource page or my comprehensive guide on trip planning.
- Booking Flights: When it comes to finding great flight deals, I always start my search on Google Flights or Skyscanner. To save some cash, consider flying mid-week or on the weekends, opt for carry-on only with budget airlines, and be open to red-eye or early morning flights. Check out my in-depth guide on how I find the cheapest flights.
- Accommodations: I'm a stickler for finding the absolute best deals on my stays, so I will obsessively oscillate between a few booking sites: Booking.com (in general) and Agoda (for Asian destinations). When it comes to vacation rentals, there's Airbnb or VRBO.
- Travel Insurance: It's always a wise decision to purchase travel insurance for international trips. I can't stress this enough - it's highly recommended! For international travel insurance, I suggest considering World Nomads or SafetyWing. SafetyWing, in particular, stands out as one of the few policies that cover Covid-19. They also offer excellent monthly policies that are perfect for digital nomads and long-term travelers!
- Travel Credit Card: My go-to travel credit card for booking trips is the Wise travel card. I love that there are no foreign transaction fees, so I can pay like a local and never get any surprises at the end of my trip. You can also withdraw cash from the ATMs wherever you are. With Wise, you are always guaranteed the best exchange rate, and I have saved sooo much money just by using this card. Most of the time, I get charged the exchange rate I see on Google, plus or minus a few cents.
- Tours: Most times, I prefer traveling independently but sometimes, getting a guide and a local's perspective makes the experience all the more enriching. When it comes to tour bookings, I trust Viator and GetYourGuide to provide me with excellent options. In Asia, I choose Klook as they are the biggest provider in the region. Plus, you can often get entrance tickets and discounted prices!
- Transportation: To navigate through public transit options and plan my journeys from one place to another, I rely on Rome2Rio. When it comes to rental cars, I compare rental companies and find the best deals through DiscoverCars.
- Connection: It's essential to me to have seamless connectivity wherever I go. I need it to navigate to new places, Google what's around me, and keep in touch with my loved ones. But fumbling around with multiple SIMs has always been a nightmare, which is why I choose Airalo when I travel. No more switching SIMs, just purchase a plan on your phone, on the go, anywhere, and stay connected.
- Luggage Storage: Whenever I need to check out early or take advantage of a long layover, I securely store my luggage with LuggageHero. It's a reliable service that allows me to roam around freely. As a bonus, you can use this link to enjoy your first hour of FREE luggage storage on me!
- What to Pack: I always have packing anxiety once I've left home—you know the phantom feeling that you've forgotten something even though you've checked 372836 times. So I made my own packing list and use it religiously before every trip, and by religious I mean I tick off that list at least 7 times before I zip up my bag. Check out my in-depth packing list here.